Comprehensive Parkinson’s Care Program
To provide the highest level of personalized care available, Broad Street has developed a Comprehensive Parkinson’s Program designed to empower you to live the life you choose.
Broad Street’s approach to Parkinson’s care starts with understanding. Despite the symptoms of Parkinson’s, you remain a vibrant person with a full life ahead. Whether your symptoms are visible or below the surface, we address them by creating a personalized plan that mitigates their impact on your life and the lives of those around you.
A Nurse Supervisor will come to your home and work with you to develop a dynamic plan of service. Your plan is designed to incorporate your goals and personal preferences which empowers you to maintain your daily routine.
Critical to the success of your plan is the careful selection of the right Personal Assistants who have completed our Comprehensive Parkinson’s Training Program.
This is a collaborative approach where your Nurse Supervisor communicates closely with our Human Resource manager to identify the best suited assistant.
Your Personal Assistant then undergoes a secondary, customized training focused specifically on your condition.
Clinical Oversight from Nurse Supervisor
Clinical oversight is also provided throughout your care by a Nurse Supervisor who provides support to you and your personal assistants and addresses any changes in your condition. Nurse oversight is also about communication. Through direct feedback and proactive management, we ensure that necessary information is shared with your family and your multidisciplinary team. This allows us to work together in providing the most effective level of care.
With the establishment of clinically supported Parkinson’s care practices provided by trained professionals, your safety and well-being are enhanced which allows you to continue to live your life. This, in turn, leads to empowerment, the key to a higher quality of life.
Struthers Parkinson’s Care Network
In 2016, Broad Street partnered with the Struthers Parkinson’s Care Network which was instrumental in the development of our training curriculum. The Struthers team coordinates a network of care organizations across the country facilitating a method of communicating successes and struggles encountered in the delivery of care. We continue to collaborate with The Struthers Parkinson’s Care Network to ensure that we are delivering the most effective training and utilizing the best practices available in support of our clients.
Comprehensive Parkinson’s Training
We’ve developed a comprehensive training program specifically focused on supporting individuals and families impacted by Parkinson’s.
Broad Street starts by delivering our Parkinson’s care curriculum to our personal assistants which focuses on the causes and symptoms associated with Parkinson’s. This establishes a basis of understanding and awareness of visible as well as unseen, underlying conditions (depression, anxiety, speech, swallowing, sleep, digestion, etc.).
Hands on Training
The second phase of Broad Street’s Parkinson’s care training includes simulation exercises focused on techniques and tools used to provide physical and emotional support needed for specific symptoms (cues to improve gait, fall prevention, patience, encouragement, mobility improvement).
Client Specific Education
Based on your input and our clinical observations, our nurse supervisors provide your personal assistant with additional training specific to your current conditions and most importantly your goals and objectives.
Working with your existing clinical team, our nurses and personal assistants can capture and communicate requested information back to your team. This ensures the utilization of therapeutic practices, helps maintain and measure the effectiveness of your treatments and allows for adjustments in your care over time. Your multidisciplinary team may include:
- Neurologists and Movement Disorder Specialists
- Primary Care Physicians
- Physical, Occupational and Speech/Language
- Therapists Exercise Physiologists and Physical Trainers focused on Parkinson’s
- Family Members
Working alongside your healthcare specialists, we can incorporate their specific treatment plans into your home care plan. The objective is to maintain your prescribed routine but in the context of your daily life. Examples of how Broad Street can help include:
- Parkinsons and Mobility – Working with your Physical Therapist, we can better support their regimen and keep you active and mobile
- Parkinsons and Small Motor Function – Your Occupational Therapist can develop exercises to keep you doing the small things. We can help with those exercises and to provide the direct support to keep these small things from holding you back
- Parkinsons and Speech and Swallowing – Trouble with communication and consumption can often be overcome with strength exercises developed by Speech and Language Pathologist. We can help support those exercises so you can remain heard and enjoy your meals
- Parkinsons and Sleep Disorder – A lack of consistent and routine sleep can be frustrating. It impacts our ability to be engaged during the day and can lead to other health issues. Working with Sleep Therapist or simply helping with a more structured routine during the day, you can get the sleep you need to stay engaged during your day
- Parkinsons and Cognitive issues – Working with cognitive issues can often be complex. Sometimes actual symptoms and their causes can be confused. Whether it be depression, complications associated with UTI, Mild cognitive impairment or Dementia, we can help support whatever the situation.
- Parkinsons and other Symptoms – Parkinson’s can impact people in a variety of ways both in what can be seen and what is going on inside the body. We understand how to interpret these symptoms and how to help you manage them
- Medication Management and Pills on time – Carbadopa-Levidopa is the primary medication used to manage the symptoms of Parkinsons. It is crucial that pills not only be taken on time but that you adjust your diet when taking this medication in order to avoid conflicting with its absorption. We can help, so you get the best results.
Additional Resources that can help support Parkinson’s
Parkinson’s Home Care services, in order to be truly effective, require coordination and collaboration among a variety of specialties. The reason this coordination is so important is there are a variety of symptoms that may need to be managed through both medicine but also exercise and diet.
All of these methods can impact Parkinson’s symptoms in a variety of ways, as well as other symptoms that may not be related to Parkinson’s.
Broad Street incorporates the collective treatment plans from all of the specialists into your daily routine. Not to overwhelm, but to simplify and encourage.
Also, because we work with you so frequently, and with our Nurse Oversight, Broad Street can be helpful in communicating with these specialists, so they are well informed as to how the treatment plans are working.
We work this way so we can help manage your symptoms – instead of your symptoms managing you.
Some of the specific specialist we work with and have as part of our Parkinson’s support services network include:
- Movement Disorder Specialists and Neurologists
- Other Specialists including Cardiologists, Sleep Disorder Specialist,
- Geriatric Physicians
- Primary Care Physicians
- Exercise Physiologists
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Language Pathologists (Speech Therapist)
- Social Works
- Mental Health Workers
If you would prefer to speak with us directly, please call 847-728-0134
Job seekers, please visit our Careers Page >>