Personalized Home Care for Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Finding the right Alzheimer’s home care or Dementia home care in Chicago can be very complex and requires a deep sense of understanding and patience.
Symptoms of Alzheimer’s and Dementia can vary significantly depending on the type of Dementia and the stage, and more importantly, the individual involved.
In order to provide effective care, it starts with understanding cognitive disorders and how they impact the client’s perception of the world. This allows the Care Professional to be more patient, and to work with the client to manage activities of daily living.
From there, it is also about understanding what core interests are appealing to the client needing Alzheimer’s care or Dementia care. These often remain intact, less affected by Alzheimer’s disease or Dementia. Whether it’s music, art, nature, sports, math, science or other core interests, they provide a gateway to greater quality of life and happiness.
Broad Street Home Care provides specialized Alzheimer’s or Dementia care support, that is specifically designed for your unique situation.
How Broad Street develops our Alzheimer’s or Dementia specialty care beyond just Personal Care and Companionship
As with all specializations, we start with education and training.
Alzheimer’s and Dementia are cognitive conditions where the brain often loses the ability to effectively connect between short term and long-term memory.
It may start with not remembering an appointment, or where keys were placed to eventually not remembering even the face of a loved one. This can cause frustration and depression which can even lead to behavioral issues.
If we understand the root of these cognitive impairments, we learn that the seemingly abnormal responses of clients with Alzheimer’s and Dementia are actually genuine.
This understanding, combined with training techniques including “acknowledging and redirecting”, along with things as simple as a warm smile and gentle touch, can help manage the frustration of these difficult symptoms.
How our Alzheimer’s Specialty Care can make a difference
Broad Street’s Alzheimer’s Care and Dementia Care service benefits include:
- Safety and security at home – Prevent wandering or falls
- Activities of daily living
Including nutrition and exercise
Focus on core interests including music, art, nature, etc.
- Active engagement with family and friends
- Focus on dignity and respect
See the individual, not the disease
- Peace of mind for the family
- Relieve stress
With Alzheimer’s and Dementia home care, our initial focus in on safety and security.
The long-term focus is on building an effective working relationship with the client. Even if this does not include memory recognition, the care professional’s goal is to get to know the client and develop a method that minimizes confusion and promotes trust.
Once that is established, we can more successfully manage the key activities of daily living while focusing on the Core Interests which lead to a great quality of life.
Make the Call Today
With Alzheimer’s and Dementia care in the home, our initial focus in on safety and security.
Different types of Dementia or Memory Conditions that Broad Street Home Care services support:
- Lewy Body Dementia – (Dementia with Lewy Bodies) Often related to Parkinson’s Disease and Dementia, it frequently coincides with movement disorder symptoms including stiffness and rigidity. Home care services in addition to supporting dementia also need to ensure safety and fall prevention. This form of dementia often includes visual hallucinations. It is important not to dismiss or worse fight these symptoms. This can lead to frustration and depression. Instead, caregivers and personal assistants need to patiently work through these hallucinations and calm the effects.
- Vascular Dementia – Often caused by Stroke and even referred to as Post Stroke Dementia, this is actually the result of brain damage or brain injury. Symptoms can vary significantly with vascular dementia as it depends on what parts of the brain have been affected. It could be impact thinking and reasoning as well as personality, or even movement disorders. It is also important for home care services supporting vascular dementia to monitor any changes as medication and medication management can often help in preventing further brain damage.
- Frontotemporal Dementia – This form of dementia impacts the front lobe of the brain which often impacts cognitive and emotional processes. The Homecare services designed to support vascular dementia include patiently helping with thinking or reasoning or other executive functions. Proper support also requires deep understanding and empathy, as seniors experiencing frontotemporal dementia can lose inhibitions causing socially unusual behavior.
- Dementia-related to Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) – Dementia related to traumatic brain injury can vary dramatically and exhibit symptoms related to Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Similar to Vascular dementia, specific symptoms depend on which part of the brain was injured. Home care services supporting this type of dementia need to work closely with the Neurologist and other healthcare professionals to understand the specific symptoms in determining client-specific support.
- Sundowning – Also known as “Late-day confusion”, sundowning is not a form of dementia, but rather a symptom. As the name implies, it occurs later in the day and into the evening and can be present with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. It is usually associated with increased confusion, anxiety, and even agitation. Home care services that can support sundowning include creating more structure so that night time activities are more routine and familiar and introducing activities that promote nighttime sleepiness.
Broad Street Home Care Can Help
If you or a family member is struggling with the limitations imposed by Alzheimer’s disease or Dementia, it’s time to arrange for the support you need.
Broad Street Home Care offers a wide range of services from personal care and companionship to Alzheimer’s and Dementia long-term care in Chicago.
Call us today at (847)-728-0134
to start the process and let us arrange the services most appropriate to you.
Please contact me with more information
5 Tips for Choosing the Best Home Care Agency for Your Family
You and your family have decided that it’s time to bring in external support to help with the care of your family. Of course, you […]
COVID-19 Procedures Update
Broad Street excels in complex situations, and the Coronavirus is no exception. This is due to our highly detailed planning and proactively managed service. We have […]